Sunday, December 11, 2011

Festive frocks

It is almost Christmas you guys! This time of year makes me dizzy with happiness. I like to run around the office, wearing tinsel or a santa hat (or both!!!!) and spreading festive cheer wherever I may go!

Basically, if you don't dig Christmas, you'd be best avoiding me throughout December.

This year, I am going to be in Chicago and New York where it will hopefully be snowing and where I will hopefully looking something like this:

Source: www.teen.com

(Except without the white leggings - I couldn't pull those off when I was a teenager, let alone in my 30s.)

And I am hoping that husband will look something like this:

Source: www.fashion-allure.com
Mmmm lovely! Colin Firth in a reindeer jumper is such a great combo.

Normally, though, I am sweating it out at Christmas time in the Australian heat and this kind of thing is completely out of the question.

But just because it is hot doesn't mean I can just go around wearing any old thing! No way. At Christmas, I like to make a little extra effort and wear pretty dresses in festive colours. Dressing pretty and wearing colours isn't something I often do during the rest of year. In fact, I have some dresses that only come out for a quick stint in December before they get relegated back to the depths of my wardrobe. Also, I tend to up the ante and wear what could only really be considered party dresses, even if I don't have a party to attend (like going to the office, for example).

If I had my pick this year, I would love to wear this gorgeous red lace dress from Lover - I'd like to wear it to work, to the shops, to the park - I would like to wear it EVERYWHERE!!!

Source: www.harpersbazaar.om.au
Also, I would like this pretty cream one (also by Lover):

Source: http://www.fashionhub.davidjones.com.au/

I could wear it with my red shoes!!!

Sometimes I wish I had the motivation to dress this cute all year round. Pretty much as soon as the new year hits, I am back to wearing outfits with a bit of a harder edge - lots of black, cigarette trousers, t-shirts, pencil skirts. Very low on the flounce.

I have just one week left before I head off to the States and I am going to be looking to these gorgeous young things for inspiration - they always seem to dress pretty and festive, no matter what time of year it is:

Rachel Bilson

Source: www.chictopia.com
Zooey Deschanel

Source: www.weheartit.com
(Gah!!!! Could Zooey be any cuter??? And this such a Christmassy outfit - she looks like a sassy elf. Ca-ute.)

Alexa Chung

Source: www.teenvogue.com
Dita Von Teese

Source: www.style.popcrunch.com

Elizabeth Olsen

Source: www.madisonmag.com.au

Camilla Belle

Source: www.celebrityinspirations.com


Ok, so maybe I can't get away with wearing Camilla Belle's gorgeous little green frock to work, but I couldn't leave her out. She may not be the best actress (I think the only thing I have ever seen her in was a remake of an 80s horror movie...) but she looks perfect in pretty much every photo I have ever seen of her. Also, this dress would be ideal for a cocktail party on a balmy Summer night in Sydney (ok - so maybe not with the weather we have been having this year where you need to wear something with sleeves and gum boots - but ordinarily it would be a perfect choice).

I just realised that this is probably my last post for 2011. How sad! But fear not, I will be collecting heaps of photos and ideas while I am on holiday and will be back before your New Year's hangovers have worn off with many more style musings and whinges.

Merry Christmukkah everyone!!!!

xox
EM

No comments: