Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Run, lazy girl. Run!


So I know I said just a couple of posts ago that I was getting back into running and how ace that was all going to be and blah blah blah.
Source: www.allmoviephoto.com

And while I have done a few little runs here and there, I haven't exactly got back on the running horse.

What I need is some inspiration to get me started.

I mean, I know when I get into it, I will love going for runs. But until you get your cardio fitness back up to a certain level, it can all just be a bit too hard. And if you try to get yourself out of bed at some ungodly hour in the morning by telling yourself that you will have a good time if you just get started, for quite a long time your brain just responds by just saying, "Bollocks you will! The only thing that will make you feel good is hitting snooze and sleeping for another hour".

Obviously, if you keep that up, you never actually get started.

What I have done in the past when I have started getting into this "I can't be arsed" frame of mind is to come up with a new playlist for my iPod. Lots of tracks that have a great beat and take my mind off the fact that my legs are achey or that my lungs are all knackered. Having a great playlist is also really handy when you are doing time on the treadmill at a gym because then you don't have to listen to the god-awful Euro-trash dance crap that they always seem to play in gyms.

When I am putting the playlist together, I like to mix songs that make me want to hurt myself with songs that make me smile - I think it gives the whole work out some balance and, most important, stops me from dying of boredom (or, more likely, giving up and just heading out for a coffee instead).

And because I am lovely and stuff, I thought I would share my latest playlist with you guys in case you are looking for some ideas. (There is no magic to the order - in fact, I tend to put it on shuffle so it doesn't get too predictable.)


  • Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • Voodoo People - The Prodigy
  • Buy Me A Pony - Spiderbait
  • Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
  • Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
  • Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc
  • Lose Yourself - Eminem
  • Everyday Formula - Regurgitator
  • Eat Me - Arkana
  • Electric Feel - MGMT
  • Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (duh)
  • Just a Girl - No Doubt
  • Watch Out Boys - Magic Dirt
  • Army of Me - Bjork
  • Best Of You - Foo Fighters
  • Damn Girl - Justin Timberlake (yes, really)
  • Everybody Nose - NERD
  • Not Afraid of Romance - Machine Gun Fellatio (perhaps the best song in the WORLD to run to)
  • Sabotage - Beastie Boys
  • Uprising - Muse
  • Push It - Garbage
  • Papillon - Editors (even the video for this song is motivating)


So there you have it! Hopefully, that will be enough to get me going out for a run bit more often and for a bit longer. And then, when this rain finally disappears, going for long runs outside (yes, yes - very dangerous to run outdoors with your iPod blaring - but it is also quite lovely so...yeah, I still do it).


If you have any tracks that you think I should be adding, leave me a comment because I am always changing the songs around so I don't get too bored. 

Happy running!! 



No comments: